43 & 45 CROW LANE
43 AND 45 CROW LANE WERE BUILT AS A HOUSE AND SHOP
See drawing and photographs of the 43 & 45
The shop and the shop store behind it have a very interesting history
THE SHOP AT 45 CROW LANE - Run by MR & MRS BOSLEY
information from Mrs Hall whose memories date from 1936 to just after WW2
Mrs Bosley was in the shop during the war and probably for a long time beforehand. She later moved to 32 or 34 Crow lane Was always a very busy shop
THINGS SOLD IN THE SHOP Used to sell pots and beakers before Mrs Hall knew her. Sold Sugar, tea and bread. Also had tinned food ? would this have been later ? Did not sell vegetables milk, or meat Sold margarine during the war
THE SHOP The door behind the counter went into the lounge of 43 Small counter about 6 - 8 ft long was along the wall opposite the door (joint wall with 43) There were no shelves and nothing stacked on the floor They went down into a cellar - where the shop supplies were kept
No door step into the shop Curved window above the door (beautiful window) has been taken out now. (NOTE - there is no actual evidence of this window in the stonework)
The shop was flooded from time to time
NOTE - The cellar remembered by Mrs Hall was almost certainly the shop store with it's lowered floor - see the notes below on the shop store
THE SHOP STORE AT THE REAR OF THE SHOP (no. 45)
1892 SHOP STORE NOT YET BUILT Map when the map was surveyed there was an open area at the back of 43/45 There was no extension at the rear
1929 SHOP STORE HAD NOW BEEN BUILT PRESUMABLY IT HAD THE LOWERED FLOOR FOUND RECENTLY When the map was surveyed 43/45 it was a L shaped building with the extension behind 45
1936-46 "CELLAR" REMEMBERED BY LOCAL RESIDENT Mrs Hall says that they went down steps into a cellar where the stores were kept.
1964 TIMBER FLOOR Valuation survey There was a timber floored extension (shop store) at the back Shop store 337 sq ft with window or door in the side fairly close to the main building There was a damp area on the back wall of the back bedroom of no. 45
2002 Present owner found 4ft gap under the timber floor of the extension (shop store) There were steps leading down from side door in the extension / garage A door or very low window was uncovered in the back wall of the back bedroom of no. 45
CONCLUSION House & shop built 1861
SHOP STORE BUILT BETWEEN 1892 & 1929 Presumably it was built with the dropped floor
The timber floor was put in after approx 1946, but before 1964
In the 1871, 1881 & 1891 censuses the shop was run by Thomas Howson For much of that time his son William Howson was his assistant William Howson had taken over the shop by 1901
TYPE OF SHOP Described variously as Grocer / Beer retailer / Outdoor Beer licence Tea Dealer / Provision Dealer
19TH CENTURY DOCUMENTS
1871 census Thomas Howson Grocer.
1871 directory Thomas Howson Beer Retailer, grocers and tea dealer (also at Factory Bottom).
1881 census Thomas Howson Grocer (son William was Grocer's Assistant).
1883 directory Thomas Howson Grocer & provision dealer.
1888 directory Thomas Howson grocer.
1891 census Thomas Howson Grocer, outdoor Beer licence employer (son William was Grocer's Assistant)
1901 census William A Howson Grocer
20TH CENTURY DOCUMENTS
1910 Rates Valuations Occupier not stated. Owner John G Lawson, rates £21
1924 Directory Mrs Margaret Booth - Grocer
1932 Electoral roll Margaret Booth, James Bosley, Amy Bosley
1934 Rates valuation Occupier Amy Bosley, Owner Sir P G Lawson rates £22
THE SHOP IN THE 20TH CENTURY
Very few people remember the shop although we have a very good account from Mrs Hall (separate sheet)
GROCER until after the Second World War
PET SHOP 1953 - 1958 ( at least)
SLIPPER FACTORY when it closed as a shop Thought to have been a Slipper factory or workshop until it closed as a commercial building
CAN YOU HELP US ?
DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE SHOP AT 45 CROW LANE ?
Very few people remember details about this shop when it closed and it's subsequent use.